Professor of History
Ph.D., Boston University
B.A., St. John’s College (Annapolis)
At Rutgers Since 2001
003 Van Dyck Hall
Department of History
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
16 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1108
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- 01:508:220 Ancient Africa
- 01:508:222 Modern Africa
- 01:508:224 Women and Gender in African History
- 01:508:326 Islam in African History
- 01:508:429 Research in African Historical Studies
- 16:510:539 Colloquium in Women's & Gender History
- 16:510:625 Colloquium in African History
- Evangelical Christians in the Muslim Sahel. (Indiana University Press, 2006)
- Marriage in Maradi: Gender and Culture in a Hausa Society in Niger, 1900-1989. Portsmouth: Heinemann (Social History of Africa Series, 1997)
- “Chronic nutritional crisis and the trope of the bad mother,” in Jean-Herve Jezequel and Xavier Crombe eds., A Not-So Natural Disaster: Niger 2005 (Columbia University Press 2009)
- "La rhétorique de la ‘mauvaise mère’," in /Niger 2005 Une catastrophe si naturelle/, Xavier Crombé and Jean-Hervé Jézéquel (eds.), Karthala, 2007, 199-226.
- “The Strength in the Song: Muslim Personhood, Audible Capital and Hausa Women’s Performance of the Hajj,” in Gendered Modernities: Ethnographic Perspectives, edited by Dorothy Hodgson, Palgrave, 2001, 79-104.
- “Le genre sexuel, le mouvement et l’histoire: transformations sociales et spatiales au XXè siècle à Maradi au Niger,” translated by Denise Ganderton and reprinted in Géographies Anglo-Saxonnes: Tendances contemporaines, edited by Jean-Francois Staszak et al, Belin, 2001, 80-94.
- Melville J. Herskovits Prize of the African Studies Association for the best book published in 2006 (Evangelical Christians in the Muslim Sahel)
- Finalist for the African Studies Association 1998 Herskovits Award for the best book published in 1997 in African Studies for Marriage in Maradi: Gender and Culture in a Hausa Society in Niger, 1900-1989. Portsmouth: Heinemann (Social History of Africa Series), 1997.
- Nominated by the Journal of African History for the Berkshire Conference on Women annual article prize for “Women’s worth and wedding gift exchange in Maradi, Niger, 1907-1989.”
- African Studies Association
- West Africa Research Association