Associate Professor of Jewish Studies and History
Director, Center for European Studies
Ph.D., Columbia University
M.A., Columbia University and the
Jewish Theological Seminary of America
B.A., Harvard-Radcliffe College
Fellow, the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, 2015-2017
At Rutgers since 1998
14 College Avenue
- "The Centrality of the Polish Language and of Polish History to the History of European Jewry," click here for youtube video
- "The Worlds of Sara Levy," click here for youtube video
- The Life and Work of Lucy S. Dawidowicz, click here for youtube video
- FB Live interview, International Teaching Fellow and Texas A & M Teaching Fellow Discuss Teaching with Testimony, August 3, 2017
- pdf Interview (1.38 MB) with Nancy Sinkoff by Paweł Smoleński, Gazeta Wyborcza, August 24, 2015
- RU-tv interview of Nancy Sinkoff on "Sara Levy's World, Music, Gender and Judaism in Enlightenment Berlin."
- Jewish History, particulary Early Modern Poland and Modern Europe
- Jewish Politics
- Jewish Labor and the Jewish Left
- European Enlightenment
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- History 01:506:272:01/Jewish Studies 01:563:202:01: The Early Modern and Modern Experience
- History 01:510:385/Jewish Studies 563:385: The History of East European Jewry
- History 506:402:12/Jewish Studies 563:490:01: Politics, Power and Powerlessness in Modern Jewish History
- Jewish Studies/History Seminar: "Community and Crisis: Jewish Communal Life in Transition, 1780-present"
- Special topics: American Jewish History
- “ pdf “A Melancholy Offering Tendered with Esteem”: Gershom Scholem and Lucy S. Dawidowicz on Nathan Birnbaum, an Unexpected Conversation (1.60 MB) ,” Jewish Quarterly Review, 107.3 (Summer 2017): 409-426.
- “ pdf From the Archives: Lucy S. Dawidowicz and the Restitution of Jewish Cultural Property (2.24 MB) ,” American Jewish History 100:1 (January 2016): 117-147.”
- " pdf Sefer Heshbon ha-Nefesh (199 KB) ," Enzyklopadie juedischer Geschichte und Kultur, vol. 5, ed. Dan Diner, (Stuttgart/Weimar: Metzler, 2015): 412-414.
- " pdf Sisters and Strangers: Hannah Arendt and Lucy S. Dawidowicz (1.33 MB) ," Heritage (Winter 2014): 22-23.
- " pdf What’s A Friend to Do? (313 KB) ," Lilith Magazine, The Lilith Blog, February 11, 2013.
- "From Left to Right: Lucy S. Dawidowicz's Political Life," Frankel Institute Annual (2012): 15-17.
- "Fiction's Archive: Authenticity, Ethnography, and Philosemitism in John Hershey's The Wall," Jewish Social Studies: History, Culture, Society n.s. 17, no. 2 (Winter 2011): 48–79.
- "Yidishkayt and the Making of Lucy S. Dawidowicz," Introduction to Lucy S. Dawidowicz, From That Place and Time: A Memoir, 1938-1947 (Rutgers University Press, 2008).
- Out of the Shtetl: Making Jews Modern in the Polish Borderlands, (Brown Judaic Studies 336, September 2004).
- "(What Was Once) The World's Largest Jewish Community", Jewish Quarterly Review, Vol. 97, No. 4 (Fall 2007) 647–659.
- "History and Law: The Case of Joseph Perl in Austrian Galicia, " (Hebrew), The Varieties of Haskalah, Shmuel Feiner and Israel Bartal, editors (Jerusalem: The Magnes Press, 2005): 123-136.
- "The Maskil, the Convert, and the Agunah: Joseph Perl as a Historian of Jewish Divorce Law, " AJS Review 27:2 (2003), 281–300.
- "Strategy and Ruse in the Haskalah of Mendel Lefin of Satanów (1749-1826)," New Perspectives on the Haskalah, David Sorkin and Shmuel Feiner, editors. (London and Portland, OR: Littman Library of Jewish Civilization, 2001): 86-102.
- "Benjamin Franklin in Jewish Eastern Europe: Cultural Appropriation in the Age of the Enlightenment ," Journal of the History of Ideas, 61.1 (January, 2000): 133-152.
- American Historical Association
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies
- Association for Jewish Studies
- Women's Caucus, Association for Jewish Studies
- Columbia Faculty Seminar, Center for Israel and Jewish Studies