Sandy Russell Jones
Assistant Teaching Professor
RCHA, 88 College Avenue, Room 103
Middle Eastern Studies Program
Lucy Stone Hall B-316
54 Joyce Kilmer Avenue
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, Religious Studies
B.A., Dickinson College, Religious Studies
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
Women in Islam, Islamic Law, Qur’an exegesis, Shi`i Islam.
- Islamic Civilization, Rutgers University
- Women and Society in the Islamic Middle East, Rutgers University
- Islam, Global Civilization, Rutgers University
- Introduction to Islam, Rutgers University and University of Pennsylvania
- Introduction to World Religions, East Stroudsburg University, PA
- "Bahrain:Origins of a Crisis," Jadaliyya, http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/1209/essential-readings_bahrain_origins-of-a-crisis, April 10, 2011.
- “God’s law or state’s law? Authority and Islamic family law reform in Bahrain,” dissertation, University of Pennsylvania, 2010.
- “The Battle Over Family Law in Bahrain,” Middle East Report, No. 242, Spring 2007.
- Review of Amira El-Azhary Sonbol, Women of Jordan: Islam, Labor, and the Law in International Journal of Middle East Studies, Vol. 36, no. 3, August 2004.
AWARDS & FELLOWSHIPS
- Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis Fellowship (2010-2011), New Brunswick, NJ
- Fulbright IIE Program for U.S. Students Dissertation Research Grant (2004-2005), Bahrain
- Fulbright-Hays Fellowship for Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad (2004-2005), Bahrain (declined)
- American Research Center in Egypt Dissertation Research Grant (2004-2005), Egypt
- University of Pennsylvania Religious Studies Pre-dissertation Grant (2003), Bahrain
- Center for Arabic Study Abroad Full-Year Fellowship (2001-2002), Egypt
- University of Pennsylvania Religious Studies Boardman Fellowship (2000)
- American Academy of Religion
- Association of Middle Eastern Women’s Studies
- Fulbright Association
- Middle East Studies Association