Ph.D., Columbia, 2003
At Rutgers since 2014
005 Van Dyck Hall
- West Africa, African Diaspora, public history, Atlantic slave trade, collective memory, and late capitalism
- “Embodying Africa: Roots-Seekers and the Politics of Blackness,” in Houston A. Baker, Jr. and Kathryn Merinda Simmons, eds., The Trouble with Post-Blackness (New York: Columbia University Press, forthcoming 2015).
- “Slave Trade Tourism: Representing a Difficult History in Ghana,” in Jim Gardner and Paula Hamilton, eds., Oxford Handbook of Public History (Oxford: Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2015).
- “Black Atlantic Visions: History, Race, and Transnationalism in Ghana,” Cultural Anthropology 28 (2013): 504-518.
- “Writing about the Slave Trade: Early Twentieth Century Colonial Textbook and Their Authors,” in Alice Bellagamba, Sandra Greene, and Martin Klein, eds., African Voices on Slavery and the Slave Trade, Vol. I (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013), 204-210.
- “‘Watch the Waves of the Sea’: Literacy, Oral History, and the European Encounter in Elmina,” History in Africa: A Journal of Method 38 (2011), 79-101.
- “Owning Up to the Past?: African Slave Traders and the Hazards of Discourse,” Transition 105 (2011), 74-87.
- “Rituel et Mémoire au Ghana: Les Usage Politiques de la Diaspora,” Critique Internationale 47 (2010), 19-36.
- Routes of Remembrance: Refashioning the Slave Trade in Ghana (Chicago: University of Chicago, Press, 2008).
Books in Progress
- Tyrannies of Freedom: Race, Power, and the Fictions of Late Capitalism, in progress.
- The King’s Speech: Narrating Anticolonialism in Black Atlantic Thought, in progress.
- Benjamin N. Duke Fellowship, National Humanities Center, 2010-2011
- Amaury Talbot Book Prize for African Anthropology, Royal Anthropological Institute, 2010
- Toyin Falola Africa Book Award, Association for Third World Studies, 2010
- Ford Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2006-2007
- John Hope Franklin Humanities Institute Faculty Fellowship, Duke University, 2005-2006
- African American Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship, Northwestern University, 2003-2004
- Ann Plato Dissertation Fellowship, Trinity College, Hartford, CT, 2002-2003
- Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship, 2001-2002
- African Studies Association
- American Anthropological Association
- Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora
- Board Member, Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora, 2011-present
- Contributing Editor, Transforming Anthropology, 2004-present