Karl F. Morrison
Lessing Professor Emeritus of History and Poetics
Ph.D., Cornell University, 1961
M.A., Cornell University, 1957
B.A., University of Mississippi, 1956
At Rutgers 1988-2011
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- 506:411: Great Historians and the Study of History: Medieval Historians
- 510:214: The European Intellectual Tradition
- 510:309: History of Western Morals to 1500
- 510:313: Renaissances in the Middle Ages
- 510:315: Reform and Dissent in the Middle Ages
- 510:391: Historical Studies, Christian Mysticism
- History PDR
- 510:527: History of Religion
- "'I am You": The Hermeneutics of Empathy in Western Literature, Theology and Art." Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1988.
- "History as a Visual Art in the Twelfth-Century Renaissance." Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1990.
- "Understanding Conversion." Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1992.
- (Co-editor) "Seeing the Invisible in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Turnhout: Brepols, 2005.
- McKnight Foundation Award in the Humanities
- MASUA Honor Lecturer
- Fellow, Medieval Academy of America
- Fellow, John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Page-Barbour Lecturer, University of Virginia
- Haskins Medal of the Medieval Academy of America
- Rutgers University--Board of Trustees Award for Excellence in Research
- Carey Faculty Fellow, University of Notre Dame (Erasmus Institute)
- Medieval Academy of America
- America Catholic Historical Association