David S. Foglesong
Professor of History
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 1991
At Rutgers since 1991
215 Van Dyck Hall
U.S. foreign policy, American-Russian relations, religion, missionaries, propaganda, military occupations, national identity. Currently working on a history of U.S. experiences with “nation building” since 1898 and (in collaboration with two Russian historians) a history of American-Russian relations since 1776.
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- 510:377 Russia in War and Peace
- 512:355 From Colonies to Empire: American Foreign Relations to 1898
- 512:352 American Foreign Policy since 1898
- 512:354 History of the Cold War
- PDR: The United States in the Twentieth Century
- Colloquium in Diplomatic History
- The American Mission and the “Evil Empire": The Crusade for a "Free Russia" Since 1881 (Cambridge University Press, 2007)
- America's Secret War Against Bolshevism: U.S. Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1917-1920 (The University of North Carolina Press, 1995)
- " pdf The Perils of Prophecy: American Predictions About Russia's Future Since 1881 (3.43 MB) ," in Russia and the United States: Perceiving Each Other, edited by V. V. Noskov (St. Petersburg, 2015), 282-298.
- "The Formation of American Images of Russia as an 'Other,' 1881-1917," co-authored with Victoria Zhuravleva, Amerikanskii Ezhegodnik, 2004 (Moscow, 2006), 233-281.
- “American Hopes for the Transformation of Russia During the Second World War,” Novaia i Noveishaia Istoriia, #1, January 2003, 80-105.
- “Ten Myths About Russia: Understanding and Dealing with Russia’s Complexity and Ambiguity,” coauthored with Gordon M. Hahn, Problems of Post-Communism, Vol. 49, No. 6 (November/December 2002), 3-15.
- “Roots of ‘Liberation’: American Images of the Future of Russia in the Early Cold War, 1948-1953,” The International History Review, Vol. XXI, No. 1 (March 1999), 57-79.
- “Redeeming Russia? American Missionaries and Tsarist Russia, 1886-1917,” Religion, State and Society, Vol. 25, No. 4 (December 1997), 353-368.
- Faculty Fellow, Rutgers Center for Historical Analysis, 2005-2006
- Gerald R. Ford Foundation Research Travel Grant, 2003
- Rutgers University Board of Trustees Fellowship for Scholarly Excellence, 1996
- Visiting Scholar, Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, Stanford University, 1995-1996.
- Short-Term Research Grant, International Research and Exchanges Board, 1995.
- Rutgers University Faculty of Arts and Sciences Award for Distinguished Contribution to Undergraduate Education, 1995.
- MacArthur International Security Studies Fellowship, 1989-1991.