Associate Professor of History and of Journalism & Media Studies
Ph.D., Columbia University, 2001
B.A., Yale University, 1990
At Rutgers since 2004
732-932-7500 ext. 8178
I write for a variety of scholarly and popular audiences about politics, ideas, media and culture in American history. My current book project, for W.W. Norton, is a history of presidential "spin."
COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- American Presidency (History)
- Cold War Culture (Honors College)
- Holocaust in American Culture (Honors College)
- News Media and Government (JMS)
- Media, Democracy, and the Public (JMS)
- Seminar in Recent U.S. History (History)
- Media History (JMS)
- Calvin Coolidge. Henry Holt (American Presidents Series). 2006.
- Presidential Doodles: Two centuries of scribbles, scratches, squiggles and scrawls from the Oval Office. Basic Books, 2006. Paperback, 2007.
- Nixon's Shadow: The History of an Image. W. W. Norton, 2003. Paperback, 2004.
- Hiett Prize in the Humanities, 2008.
- Rutgers University Board of Trustees Research Fellowship for Scholarly Excellence, 2008.
- Top Young Historian, History News Network, 2006.
- American Journalism Historians Association Book Award, for Nixon's Shadow. 2003
- Washington Monthly Political Book Award, for Nixon's Shadow. 2003.
- Bancroft Dissertation Prize, Columbia University, for Nixon's Shadow. 2002.
- American Historical Association
- Organization of American Historians
- Council on Foreign Relations
- National Book Critics Circle