Guidelines for Rutgers Public History and General History Interns
- Provide services and create products of the highest quality.
- Treat each individual as you would like to be treated.
- Help create an environment that fosters personal growth and well-being.
- Enhance the reputation of your internship site.
- Eliminate waste and reduce inefficiencies in order to provide maximum value.
- Be responsible citizens in every context.
- Strive for excellence.
- Satisfy your site supervisor by satisfying your site's clients. Learn their needs and surpass their expectations.
- Be passionate about what you do. Enthusiasm and energy are contagious.
- Never stop caring. Show concern and respect for every individual, regardless of position or title.
- Understand your role in the big picture.
- Look for better ways to do things in order to raise standards.
- Communicate! Voice your ideas, share your concerns, pass on what you know, and be honest.
- Be a team player. Working together means strength for the organization and helps fulfill its mission.
- Listen when others speak.
- Be flexible. Success depends on adapting when situations change.
- Pay attention to details -- little things do make a difference.
- Solve the problem; don't treat the symptom.
- Let others know when they have done a good job.
- Smile and have fun!
Adapted from The EstJe Lauder Companies Commitments and Principles, given to their interns as well as to their regular employees.