Major Requirements (510)
Requirements for students who declared a History major prior to Fall 2014
- A maximum of four 100-level courses from among the following, with no more than two in any one area:
- Global History: 01:506:110,112,113,114
- European History: 01:510:101,102
- U.S. History: 01:512:103,104
- A minimum of seven 200- through 400-level courses must be included, at least five of which must be at the 300- or 400- level, including a History Seminar (506:401,402) or Public History Internship (506:451). The History Seminar and Public History Internship may be taken in the junior or senior year only.
- Of the eleven total courses, at least two must be in each of the three following areas:
- AREA 1: Global, African, Asian, Latin American, or Native American history (508 and selected 506 courses see here.)
- AREA 2: European history (510)
- AREA 3: United States History (512)
- At least one course in the history of premodern civilization must be included (i.e., in the period generally before 1500 A.D.).
- At least 6 of the total number of courses must be taken at Rutgers-New Brunswick
- Please see the Transfer Policy in order to determine how transfer courses can be applied towards the History Major requirements
- No more that two courses used to complete a major or minor in another department can be used to fulfill the requirements of the history major or minor.
- The history department does not accept CLEP test credits even for general elective credit.
**Note: Students who declared the History major prior to Fall 2014 do NOT have to complete 506:299, History Workshop. However, they are still encouraged to enroll in the course.
*New* History Major Requirements Fall 2014
Any student who declares the History Major starting in September 2014 will have an updated set of requirements to follow
The Basics: History majors must complete 36 credits (twelve 3-credit courses) with a grade of "C" or better in each, according to the following guidelines:
1. Of the twelve courses, at least two must be taken in each of the following areas:
- Global, African, Asian, Latin American, or Native American history (select 506 courses and all 508 courses)
- European history (510 courses)
- United States History (512 courses)
2. At least one course in premodern history (the period before 1500 C.E.)
3. A History Workshop (506:299) in the freshman (second semester) or sophomore year
4. A History Seminar (506:401/402) or a Public History Internship (506:451) in the junior or senior year
5. A minimum of eight 200- through 400-level courses, at least five must be at the 300- or 400-level.
6. At least eight of the total number of courses must be taken at Rutgers-New Brunswick
7. No more than two courses used to complete a major or minor in another department can be used to fulfill the requirements of the history major
8. The history department does not accept CLEP test credits even for general elective credit.
Download a major worksheet to help you keep track of your progress. You can fill it out on your own or bring it to your advisor.
Old Requirements (prior to Fall 2014)
pdf New Requirements (Fall 2014 or later)