COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- 510:327 20th Century Europe
- 510:383 Communism and Post-Communism
- 510:391 Human Rights
- 506:402 History Seminar: The Cold War
- 506:215/988:260 The Modern Girl
- 510:549/550 Seminar in Women's and Gender History
- 510:560 PDR in Women's and Gender History
- 510:599 PDR in Modern Europe
- 510:601 Colloquium: History of Human Rights
- 510:601 Colloquium: Eastern Europe
- Curtain of Lies: The Battle over Truth in Stalinist Eastern Europe (Oxford University Press, 2017)
- Elusive Equality: Gender, Citizenship and the Limits of Democracy in Czechoslovakia, 1918-1950 (University of Pittsburgh Press, 2006)
Recent Articles and Essays
- “The Source: Radio Free Europe Information Item #687/54 (29 January 1954)—The Decline of Family Life,” (translation from the Czech with critical introduction) Aspasia 10 (2016): 89–101.
- “Democracy at Home: Debating Family and Marriage Law in the First Czechoslovak Republic,” in Sara Kimble and Marion Vera Rowekamp, eds., New Perspectives in European Women’s Legal History (New York: Routledge: 2016): 76–96.
- “Soporific Bombs and American Flying Discs: War Fantasies in East-Central Europe, 1948–1956,” Zeitschrift für Ostmitteleuropa-Forschung 62, no. 3 (2013): 450–471.
- “Fantastic Truths, Compelling Lies: Radio Free Europe and the Response to the Slánský Trial in Czechoslovakia,” Contemporary European History 22, no. 1 (2013): 107–125.
- “Battling for Peace: The Transformation of the Women’s Movement in Cold War Czechoslovakia and Eastern Europe,” in Joanna Regulska and Bonnie Smith, eds., Women and Gender in Postwar Europe (London: Routledge, 2012): 16–33.
- “The Survey Project: Researching the Everyday Experiences of Rural Czech Women and Imagining Modernity at the End of the Second World War,” Journal of Women’s History 23, no. 4 (2011): 82–107.
- “Die Durchsetzung einer neuen Welt. Politische Prozesse in Osteuropa, 1948–1954,” in Bernd Greiner, Christian Th. Müller and Dierk Walter, eds. Angst im Kalten Krieg (Hamburg: Hamburger Edition, 2009): 190–219.