COURSES REGULARLY TAUGHT
- 595:101 Intro to Latino Studies
- 512:360/595:369 Latino History
- 512:351/595:351 Mexican American History
- 512:391/595:412 Latinos in New Jersey Seminar
- Editor, 50 Events that Shaped Latino History: An Encyclopedia of the American Mosaic (ABC-CLIO/Greenwood, 2018)
- 2012 Brown in the Windy City: Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in Postwar Chicago (University of Chicago Press).
- “Latino/a Immigration Before 1965: Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in Postwar Chicago” in The Latino Midwest Reader, edited by Omar Valerio-Jiménez, Santiago Vaquera-Vásquez, and Claire F. Fox (University of Illinois Press, 2017).
- “Moving Beyond Aztlán: Disrupting Nationalism and Geographic Essentialism in Chicano/a History,” in A Promising Problem: The New Chicana/o History, edited by Carlos K. Blanton (University of Texas Press, 2016): 59-83.
- “Ronald Reagan, Race, Civil Rights, and Immigration,” in The Companion to Ronald Reagan, edited by Andrew Johns (Wiley-Blackwell, 2014): 185-203.
- “Nativism, Xenophobia and Migration,” in Encyclopedia of Global Human Migration, edited by Immanuel Ness (Wiley-Blackwell, 2013).
- “Listening to House Music ‘Everywhere, Everyday’: Latino Youth Consuming and Producing Culture,” in Mapping Latina/o Studies: An Interdisciplinary Reader, edited by Angharad Valdivia & Matt Garcia (Peter Lang, 2012), 237-261.
- “From the Near West Side to 18th Street: Un/Making Latina/o Barrios in Postwar Chicago.” In Beyond el Barrio: Everyday Life in Latina/o America, edited by Gina Pérez, Frank Guridy, and Adrian Burgos (NYU Press, 2010): 233-252.
- “Living in the Shadow of the ‘Second Ghetto,’” essay commemorating the legacy of historian Arnold Hirsch, Journal of Urban History (December 2019).
- “Race Baiting, Identity Politics, and the Impact of Conservative Economic Policies on Latinos/as” Latino Studies, 16, 4 (December 2018): 524-530.
- “Urban History and the Construction of Social Difference,” special issue roundtable discussion honoring Michael B. Katz, Journal of Urban History 41, 4 (July 2015): 566-571.
- “Of Migrants and Immigrants: Mexican and Puerto Rican Labor Migration in Comparative Perspective, 1942-1964.” Journal of American Ethnic History 29, no. 3 (2010): 6-39.
- Series Editor, “Historical Studies in Urban America,” University of Chicago Press, with Timothy Guilfoyle, Becky Nicolaides, and Amanda Seligman, April 2015 – ongoing
- Advisory Board Member, Latino Studies Journal, Spring 2016 – ongoing
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Urban History, January 2019 – January 2023
- Advisory Board Member, Latinos and the Law Initiative, American Bar Foundation, August 2014 – ongoing
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of American Ethnic History, Fall 2013 - 2018