Right now I’m putting the finishing touches on a book about the global production of the West—its institutions, social structures, culture and arts, and patterns of everyday life--from the seventeenth century to the present. Other projects include a history of modern empires from the fifteenth century to the present and a history of women in world history.
- The Making of the West Concise, co-author with Lynn Hunt, Thomas Martin, and Barbara Rosenwein, 4th edition (Bedford St Martins’s 2013)
- Women’s Studies: The Basics (Routledge, 2013)
- The Gender of History: Men, Women, and Historical Practice. Chinese edition, 2012.
- The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures, co-author with Lynn Hunt, Thomas Martin, and Barbara Rosenwein, 4th edition. (Bedford St. Martin’s 2012)
- Sources of Crossroads and Cultures with Marc Van de Mieroop, Richard von Glahn, and Kris Lane (Bedford St. Martins, 2012).
- Crossroads and Cultures: A History of the World’s Peoples, co-author with Marc Van de Mieroop, Richard von Glahn, and Kris Lane (Bedford St. Martins, 2012)
- Women and Gender in Postwar Europe, co-ed. with Joanna Regulska (Routledge 2012).
- “Decentered Identities: The Case of the Romantics,” History and Theory, May 2011.
- “Women in World History: An Overview,” for CLIO, twenty-fifth anniversary edition, Janurary 2011
- “Gender and the Republic,” in Vincent Duclert, Christophe Prochasson, and Edward Berenson, eds. The French Republic: History, Values, Debates. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 2011.
- “Europe and Russia” with Donald R. Kelley in Jerry Bentley, ed. Oxford Companion to World History. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “Historians” with Donald R. Kelley for Ulinka Rublak, ed., Oxford Companion to Historical Writing. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- “Women in the Twentieth Century World” in Michael Adas, ed. Twentieth Century World History. Temple University Press, 2010.
- “Women’s History: A Retrospective from the United States,” SIGNS, 2010.
- “Gender and History,” in Angelika Epple and Angelika Schaser, eds. Gendering Historiography (Berlin: 2009).
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History, general ed., 4 vols. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008. [Booklist Editors’ Books of the Year, American Library Association Outstanding Reference Work Award.]
- Europe in the Contemporary World, 1900 to the Present. Boston: Bedford Books, 2008.