Dear History Majors and Minors,
A fine academic record, both in the History Department and overall, could make you eligible for membership in Phi Alpha Theta, the international honor society for history. Phi Alpha Theta is among the most prestigious departmental honor societies in America, standing only behind Phi Beta Kappa in overall honor society rank.
- All majors and minors are encouraged to apply
- 3.0 overall cumulative Rutgers GPA
- 3.1 cumulative GPA in History courses
- Must have completed 60 credits overall (junior or senior standing)
- 4 courses in History at Rutgers University
- Online, Transfer, and AP credits count.
- Art History & HST (SAS CORE) courses do not count unless they have a History Department course code beginning with 506, 508, 510, or 512.
If you are interested in joining and believe you have met these requirements:
- pdf download the application here (194 KB)
- Return the form to the Undergraduate Office once it is completed. Please note that the Declaration Form is only being accepted via email at this time.
Applications are due February 5, 2022. Decisions will go out later in February 2022 with Induction Ceremony details to follow.
If you have any questions, please contact the Undergraduate Office via email -
At the ceremony you will receive an official certificate validating your membership directly from the Phi Alpha Theta's International Office along with a year's subscription to The Historian, a distinguished historical quarterly. You will then become eligible to apply for prizes, awards, and scholarships available to members only. This distinction will also be noted on your transcript.
Learn more about Phi Alpha Theta at www.phialphatheta.org.
Professor James Delbourgo
Undergraduate Vice Chair