The Basics: History majors must complete 36 credits (twelve 3-credit courses) with a grade of "C" or better in each, according to the following guidelines:
1. Of the twelve courses, at least two must be taken in each of the following areas:
- Global, African, Asian, Latin American, or Native American history (select 506 courses and all 508 courses)
- European history (510 courses)
- United States History (512 courses)
2. At least one course in premodern history (the period before 1500 C.E.)
3. A History Workshop (506:299) in the freshman (second semester) or sophomore year
4. A History Seminar (506:401/402) or a Public History Internship (506:451) in the junior or senior year
5. A minimum of eight 200- through 400-level courses, at least five must be at the 300- or 400-level.
6. At least eight of the total number of courses must be taken at Rutgers-New Brunswick
7. No more than two courses used to complete a major or minor in another department can be used to fulfill the requirements of the history major
8. The history department does not accept CLEP test credits even for general elective credit.
Download a major worksheet to help you keep track of your progress. You can fill it out on your own or bring it to your advisor.
pdf New Requirements (Fall 2014 or later)
For any questions about major requirements, please contact the Undergraduate Administrator, Anuja Rivera email@example.com